Annual Tortoise Walk
Beginning at 10:00 am
Al and Tootie, the NEW Zoo’s wonderful tortoise couple, are getting ready to make their famous Tortoise Walk back to their summer exhibit outdoors. This is an annual event where the Zoo’s two 27-year old Aldabra Tortoises move from their winter facility to their summer home in the Children’s Zoo area. The event is quite an undertaking in light of the fact that Tootie, the female Aldabra, weighs in at approximately 270 pounds, and Al, the male, tops the scales at a whopping 390 pounds!
Come and encourage our two giants on as they hit the road on a journey which usually takes approximately 45 minutes. The fun will begin at the Children’s Zoo Barn and will culminate at the tortoise exhibit which is located at the entrance to Children’s Zoo area.
The tortoises are one of only a few animals that will see many generations of visitors over their lifetime. Currently, the Zoo is fundraising for a new Adlabra Tortoise Exhibit entitled “Land of the Giants” which will be of unprecedented exhibit design.
- April 3rd 2nd Annual "Skunks are Beautiful" Cribbage Tournament »
- April 5th Birthday with the Animals Birthday with the animals »
- April 19th Eggstravanazoo Eggstravanazoo »
- May 11th Mother's Day Mother's Day »
- June 7th Girl Scout Day Girl Scout Day »
- June 15th Father's Day Father's Day »
- August 4th 15th Annual "Feast with the Beasts" »
- September 4th Senior Citizen Day Senior Citizen Day »