Lion Cubs to Call Naples Zoo “Home”
The NEW Zoo is happy to announce that six month old lion cubs Masamba and Mandisa are headed to their fabulous new home at the Naples Zoo in Florida on Monday, Feb. 2nd, 2009. Because there are only 169 genetically valuable African lions in the captive population, many zoos have been on a waiting list to participate in the breeding program. The lion Species Survival Program has approved the Naples Zoo as the lucky recipients of these cubs.
“We are thrilled to have found a home where the brother and sister team will stay together until they are old enough (in 2 or 3 years) to be paired with mates and produce babies of their own” stated Carmen Murach, Curator of Animals at the NEW Zoo. In the absence of their mother, Murach was instrumental in hand raising the cubs from birth.
The cubs will be making the trip in the Zoomobile accompanied by NEW Zoo staff. “Because the cubs were hand raised, they are extremely adaptable, adventurous and accustomed to new experiences. We expect their transition to their new home to go very smoothly” said Murach. Stop by yet this weekend to wish Mandisa and Masamba well before they embark upon their exciting new adventure.
The NEW Zoo’s younger (2 month old) lion cubs, Asani, Akeelah and Jamela (accompanied by their mother Ajia) are expected to make their public debut in the lion exhibit this coming week.
- December 13th Holiday Fest Holiday Fest »
- December 14th Holiday Fest Holiday Fest »
- April 3rd 2nd Annual "Skunks are Beautiful" Cribbage Tournament »
- April 5th Birthday with the Animals Birthday with the animals »
- April 19th Eggstravanazoo Eggstravanazoo »
- May 11th Mother's Day Mother's Day »
- June 7th Girl Scout Day Girl Scout Day »
- June 15th Father's Day Father's Day »