The NEW Zoo & Adventure Park is pleased to announce a partnership with the Green Bay Chapter of the American Association of Zookeepers (AAZK) to designate the NEW Zoo as a drop-off site for recycling plastic bags and plastic film! The site will be available for community members to bring approved items starting May 1st. Most local recycling programs do not allow these items to be recycled in curbside pick-up, so this will be a great way for area residents to make a difference.
These recyclable plastics have become a huge problem to our environment, as they are filling up our landfills, cluttering lakes and oceans, becoming litter on the ground and harming both animals and ecosystems in many other dangerous or polluting ways. Recycling these items can also help create many functional products. By bringing us the recyclable plastic film, people are also helping the NEW Zoo win a six- month Recycling Challenge by Trex, which includes the possibility earning a high-performance composite bench! The Zoo will need to collect at least 500 pounds of plastic refuse during the six-month span (or about 40,500 plastic bags!).
The following items can be accepted at the NEW Zoo starting May 1st:
- Retail, carryout, produce, newspaper, bread, and dry cleaning bags (clean, dry and free of receipts and clothes hangers)
- Zip-top food storage bags (clean and dry)
- Plastic shipping envelopes (remove labels), bubble wrap and air pillows (deflate)
- Product wrap on cases of water/soda bottles, paper towels, napkins, disposable cups, bathroom tissue, diapers, and female sanitary products
- Furniture and electronic wrap
- Plastic cereal box liners (but if it tears like paper, do not include)
- Any film packaging or bag that has the How2Recycle label
Please help our environment by dropping off your plastic bags and other polyethylene film products at the NEW Zoo so we ensure they are recycled. For your convenience, a drop-off bin will be located at the front entrance of the Zoo’s Visitor Center.