With the COVID-19-related cancellation of our traditional Summer Zoo Camp programs, the NEW Zoo has put together a new program option for students entering grades 1st through 7th: Summer Safari!
What is Summer Safari?
- Just like Summer Zoo Camp, these will be day camps – each child may attend one date of camp
- The day will be filled with fun activities, including meeting live animals, games, crafts, and tours of the Zoo
- Parents should provide a lunch & water bottle for each child; the Zoo will provide a morning snack
- Programs will occur from 9:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. (this is a change from Summer Zoo Camp, which was originally scheduled to end at 2:00 p.m.)
- Drop-off begins at 8:40 a.m. and pick-up starts at 3:00 p.m.
- There will be programs for three different age groups– children must attend a date that corresponds to the grade they will enter this Fall
- 1st or 2nd Grade
- 3rd or 4th Grades
- 5th, 6th, or 7th Grades
What will Summer Safari cost?
The cost for these six-hour programs will be $38 per camper, with Zoo Pass Members receiving a 20% discount using the code Members2020 at check-out.
What precautions is the NEW Zoo taking to reduce the risk of exposure to COVID-19 at Summer Safari?
We are following recommendations from the CDC and the American Camp Association for summer camps. The following are education staff’s tentative plans, but as camp approaches and information unfolds, they may be altered.
- Drop off & Pick up: Rather than have parents entering the classroom, campers will be dropped off curbside, outside of the Education Building.
- Group sizes: We will be reducing our camp sizes to 10 kids with up to two adults (teacher/assistant). Social distancing will be enforced during activities.
- Masks: All Zoo staff will wear face coverings and complete daily health screenings. Campers are encouraged to wear face masks, but they will not be required. However, there will be some activities, such as touching animals, that will require masks for participation. If you will be unable to provide a mask for your child but still want them to wear a zoo-provided mask for those activities, you will need to let us know in advance.
- Activities & Supplies: Activities and games will be modified to keep campers separate as much as possible. Each camper will have his or her own set of supplies to use.
- Animal Encounters: n order to protect our animals, campers will need to sanitize their hands both before and after touching members of our ambassador animal collection. Campers will still be able to feed the giraffes and/or goats. Face masks will be required for campers to participate in giraffe & goat feeding.
- Camper Belongings: Each child should have a backpack or other bag to carry and keep all their belongings. Any belongings brought from home must be labeled with the camper’s first and last name. Any unlabeled items left at the end of the camp week will be discarded.
- Cleaning & Sanitizing: Cleanliness and sanitation are always top priorities at Zoo Camp. We will be increasing how often commonly-touched surfaces are cleaned throughout the zoo. Classrooms will be cleaned and sanitized thoroughly at the end of each day.
If my child is registered for Summer Zoo Camp, do I have to re-register for Summer Safari?
Yes. Capacity is limited, and we will, unfortunately, not be able to accommodate every child who was registered for Summer Zoo Camp into Summer Safari. Each child can attend only one date of Summer Safari (not two like they could for Summer Zoo Camp). PLEASE register early if you wish for your child(ren) to attend. Summer Zoo Camp fees will be refunded during the month of June.
What are the dates for Summer Safari?
The dates are listed and provided in the graphic below.
- For students entering 1st or 2nd grades: Thurs July 2, Weds July 8, Tues July 14, Tues July 21, Thurs July 23, Thurs July 30th (each child can attend ONE date)
- For students entering 3rd or 4th grades: Weds July 1, Tues July 7, Thurs July 16, Weds July 22 (each child can attend ONE date)
- NEW date just added: Weds July 29
- For students entering 5th, 6th, or 7th grades: Tues June 30, Thurs July 9, Weds July 15 (each child can attend ONE date)
Please note: additional dates may be added in the future, based on demand.
If you are interested in being added to a Wait List, or to request additional dates, please contact us via email at firstname.lastname@example.org
How do I register?
Click the button below to complete the registration.Register Here