Is your child ready to get out of the house and spend a fun day at the Zoo? (Are YOU ready to have your child out of the house, spending a fun day at the Zoo?) Then our Winter Break Zoo Camp is perfect for you! These day camp programs are designed for students in grades 1st through 6th, with fun and safety in mind. Winter Break Zoo Camp includes educational presentations & conversations, up-close encounters with live animals, socially-distanced games and/or crafts, and time spent outdoors, visiting the animals. The Zoo will provide a morning snack, as well as a tasty hot chocolate afternoon treat. Students should bring a non-refrigerated, non-microwavable lunch, along with a water bottle, an appropriate face covering, and clothing for both indoor and outdoor activities (including boots if snow is on the ground!).
This year’s Winter Break Zoo Camp theme is “Animal Olympics.” Animals have some AMAZING talents that win them the gold in nature. During this camp, children will put their skills to the test! Through games and activities, we will see how well our campers “become” the animals. After competing in the NEW Zoo’s animal Olympics, kids will even receive their own gold medals.
Winter Break Zoo Camp Details
- $40 per child
- Zoo Pass Members receive a 20% discount using the discount code “20Members20”
- You must be logged into your Zoo or Adventure Park Membership when checking out in our system to receive the discount. Use the email tied to your Membership Account.
- If you are unsure if your Membership is currently active, contact us and we can verify for you.
Dates & Times
- 9:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. (with drop-off as early as 8:40am)
- For 1st, 2nd, 3rd graders:
- Monday, December 28th OR Wednesday, December 30th
- NEW dates added: Tuesday, December 22nd AND Wednesday, December 23rd
- For 4th, 5th, 6th graders:
- Tuesday, December 29th
- Tuesday, December 29th
All Zoo Camps include
- Live animal visits in the classroom
- Educational presentations
- Tours of the Zoo
- Fun, hands-on activities like games or crafts
- A morning snack (students choose from peanut-free popcorn cooked in coconut oil OR nut- and dairy-free pretzels or animal crackers)
- An afternoon treat (popsicles in warm weather and hot chocolate in cold weather)
- A short, educational video is watched during lunch time
The NEW Zoo takes the risk of COVID-19 seriously, and your child’s safety is our highest priority. To reduce the risk of exposure to COVID-19, we are following recommendations from the CDC and the American Camp Association. The precautions we take include (but are not limited to) the following:
- Drop off & Pick up: Rather than have parents entering the classroom, campers will be dropped off curbside, outside of the Education Building.
- Group Sizes: Registration will be capped at a maximum of 12 participants. Social distancing will be enforced during activities.
- Masks: All Zoo staff will wear face coverings and complete daily health screenings. Campers are also encouraged to wear face masks, and there will be some activities, such as touching animals, that will require masks for participation. If you will be unable to provide a mask for your child but still want them to wear a zoo-provided mask for those activities, please let us know in advance.
- Activities & Supplies: Activities and games will be modified to keep campers separate as much as possible. Each camper will have his or her own set of supplies to use.
- Animal Encounters: in order to protect our animals, campers will need to sanitize their hands both before and after touching members of our ambassador animal collection. Face masks will be required for campers to participate in any animal feeding.
- Camper Belongings: Each child should have a backpack or other bag to carry and keep all their belongings. Any belongings brought from home must be labeled with the camper’s first and last name. Any unlabeled items left at the end of the camp week will be discarded.
- Cleaning & Sanitizing: Cleanliness and sanitation are always top priorities at Zoo Camp. We will be increasing how often commonly-touched surfaces are cleaned throughout the zoo. Classrooms will be cleaned and sanitized thoroughly at the end of each day.
- COVID Exposures & Quarantine: students who have been exposed to a positive coronavirus case within two weeks of the program date, or who share a household with someone who is currently being quarantined due to an exposure, should not attend Creature Camp. Additionally, students experiencing any symptoms consistent with COVID-19 on the program date should not attend Creature Camp. If an exposure or quarantine in your household begins after your registration for Creature Camp, or if your child wakes up with symptoms, please contact us as soon as possible to let us know.
Please note: a minimum of 6 children must register for each date in order for the Zoo to hold these programs. Registration will be open until 48 hours prior to the start of each program. If we do not meet the minimum capacity to hold the program, the NEW Zoo will contact parents who have registered, and refunds will be provided.
- Cancellations received prior to one week before the program date will receive a 50% refund.
- Cancellations received within one week of the program date will not receive a refund.