The NEW Zoo & Adventure Park is pleased to offer programs for home-schooled students. Home School Workshops are open to all home-schooled students in grades 3rd through 8th for the current (2019-20) school year. These drop-off programs include live animal encounters and zoo tours, along with games and other fun activities where students will have hands-on learning opportunities. Students should dress in layers, bringing clothing appropriate for both indoor and outdoor activities.
- $12 per student for Zoo Pass Members
- $15 per student for Non-Members
- Payments are due upon registration to hold spaces, with a 50% refund available if cancellations are made prior to one week before the date of the program
- 2 and 1/2 hours per session
- 9:30 a.m. for students in 3rd, 4th, and 5th grade
- 1:00 p.m. for students in 6th, 7th, and 8th grade
For information or to register
Dates and program descriptions are provided below. Please be sure to sign-up your children for the session appropriate for their age group. Payments are due upon registration to hold the space, with a 50% refund available if cancellations are made prior to one week before the date of the program.
Home School Workshops: Winter 2019-20 Topics & Schedule
Please note: this season’s programs will have the same topic for both age groups, but activities will be different and tailored to each group of participants.
Wednesday, November 13th: Terrific Testudines
- What is a “testudine,” you ask? It is the scientific name we use to describe turtles and tortoises! Although both turtles and tortoises look alike and have hard shells, there are a few differences between the two groups. We will meet a few of our shelled residents as we compare and contrast. (We may even check out the Aldabra tortoise exhibit!)
Wednesday, January 22nd: Rambunctious Rodents
- Rodents are more than just pests in our backyards, and they’re also more than just mice and rats! We’ll find out about some of the whopping 1,500 species in this special group of mammals. We’ll even meet a few of the NEW Zoo’s rodents while learning about their awesome adaptations.
Wednesday, March 18th: Beautiful Bird Beaks
- Birds, birds, birds! Birds use their beaks for MANY tasks. In this workshop, we’ll meet a variety of feathered friends and witness their beaks in action. Students will then be put to the test while modeling how different bird beaks work.
- Please note that registration for each class will close 48 hours before the class start time